Saturday, September 03, 2005

tenksgiving

on loop: home ~ brian mcknight

came upon this story through mail and decided to share it in here. it pretty much reflects my thoughts as of the moment. hope you guys like it as well:

The Mayonnaise Jar and the Beer

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day is not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar... and the beer.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cans of beer from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.

The golf balls are the important things - God, your family, your children, your health, your friends, your favorite passions, -- things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full."

"The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car.

The sand is everything else -- the small stuff."

"If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life."

"If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. There will always be time to clean the house, and
fix the disposal.

Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented.

The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked," he said.

"It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers."

*****
and today, i would like to express my heartfelt thanks:

to my mom, who is in a totally better place right now, i know you can read what i'm thinking :) though i will never stop missing you and wishing that you are here with me, i know i cannot be selfish enough to feel and mourn for the burden of my loss because i know that it was for the best, according to His plan. i just want you to know that for the times we were together, you did me well.

to my dad, who literally stood by me my entire life, through thick or thin, hell or high water, and just smiled while holding out his hand for me, i love you beri much and words will never be able to express how much i appreciate you and just how thankful and grateful i am to have such a cool dad like you. thank you for your everything, despite my everything.

and to my dear friends who have been a huge part of the 21 years i've been here, thanks so much for all the fun and support and it's always great to have you guys around. no one could ask for better friends, 'coz you guys are the best. the road is long ahead of us and i pray that we will continue to be together for the journey.

at sa lahat ng nakaalala, salamat :) (for the gifts and surprises as well).

*****

feeling awards night ah hehe. but the biggest kudos goes out to Him :) He knows what i'm talking about.

generally, i'm just basically thankful for eveything i have right now. even for the things that i don't have, i'm thankful for those as well because they help me realize and appreciate what it is i do have. at the same time, i guess i'm a bit melancholic and nostalgic as well. i guess these sort of sentiments come with the passing of age, some time to mull over years past then on with the years lined up ahead.

hurray to everyone today :) and to everyone else who's celebrating as well, happy birthday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow morning when you wake up
And the sun does not appear
I will be here
If in the dark we lose sight of love
Hold my hand and have no fear
'Cause I will be here

I will be here
When you feel like being quiet
When you need to speak your mind
I will listen
And I will be here
When the laughter turns to crying
Through the winning, losing and trying
We'll be together
'Cause I will be here

Tomorrow morning if you wake up
And the future is unclear
I'll be here
As sure as seasons are made for change
Our lifetimes are made for years
So I will be here

I will be here
You can cry on my shoulder
When the mirror tells us we're older
I will hold you
And I will be here
To watch you grow in beauty
And tell you all the things you are to me

I will be here

I will be true to the promise I have made
To you and to the one who gave you to me
I will be here

And just as sure as seasons are made for change
Our lifetimes are made for years
I will be here
We'll be together forever
'Coz I will be here
I will be here

o di ba? ako naman naglagay ng lyrics, ako nag take down nyan hindi ko na tinanong sa iyo hehe. walang barbero ha totoo yan. happy bday hyan! sorry di ako makakatakas mamyang gabi. bawi bawi =)

avaavs said...

hey hyannah..hapi bday...gawd i ddnt know ppl still check out my old blog..anyways..sorry for the "im so drama kaya i moved" thing...ehehe.. here's my new addy:
kashima-san.blogspot.com.. new blog..same old me..hay hay..ahahaa...

Hyannah said...

hi ava! nice to hear from you again :) thanks. i'll update your link asap. keep safe!

hoy karl! salamat ha :) ako rin may kanta sayo... 'ikakasal ka naaaa....' haha. grabe unbelievable :) pero congrats mehn, finally. basta ingat parati and let God ;)